Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How will the new template look compared to the old one?

How will the new template look compared to the old one? 2 years 2 months ago #6111

• JohnL
  • Fresh Boarder
OK, might seem like a stupid question BUT I have joomla site that I look after for a sports club and it was a real basic template. I have since been tasked with upgrading to a better one so I have installed one from RocketTheme. Now the issue is when I choosed the new template as the default one, of course it looks different. So different that the menus aren't anywhere to be seen, etc, etc.

So what is the best way to get the new template up and going ASAP without too much disruption. I have attempted to install Joomla onto my PC as a localhost but did not have much joy.

Is there any way to edit a non default template and then publish it once it is all good to go?

Cheers,

John
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How will the new template look compared to the old one? 2 years 2 months ago #6112

• MaxTech
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Hey there John - you can run a development set-up alongside your live site in a child directory.

A quick way to get things going is checking that your menu module(s) position is actually a position in the new template, along with the other modules. They are still there - just need to tell them the "new" positions for them to display in.

Otherwise, most of the rest of the bits will display auto-magically with the styling of the new template.

Hope that helps.
Max
Founder & CEO @ molehill.com.au & successengine.com.au
Partner @ joostrap.com - Joomla! Website Templates & Responsive Web Design

Re: How will the new template look compared to the old one? 2 years 2 months ago #6113

• JohnL
  • Fresh Boarder
Max, do I need to install Joomla in another directory so I would have 2 on the same domain name? So one under /public_html and the other in public_html/test or something like that?

Cheers,
John

Re: How will the new template look compared to the old one? 2 years 2 months ago #6114

• MaxTech
  • Gold Boarder
Hi John,

That's may be safest for you. Remember backup, backup, backup, backup, backup . . . . . . . . .

You can just copy the database and files - change name of database and files to subdirectory (like test).

Then update the details in the config file for your "test" copy and it should work :)

Once you've played around and worked out what needs to happen or if you've changed any files you can merge/duplicate those changes across.

Alternatively, if nothing much has happened on the site (may be the case for you??) you can just move your "test" files into the "live" directory and it's already hooked up to the database you've been working in.

...... what ever works best for you in your situation and how active non-admin content on your site is.

Re: How will the new template look compared to the old one? 2 years 2 months ago #6117

• MaxTech
  • Gold Boarder
also, you can also just move the htaccess file from the test directory to the main directory when you're ready and it'll use all the stuff from your test/dev site
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds